Lets see those battery longevity tips.

Does anyone have any battery longevity tips with the new battery technology coming out?

Comments

• Avoid fast charging. Marine batteries work best wil a slow charge and unplug it when the charge is complete. Avoid storing your batteries in freezing temps, overcharging and undercharging are both bad for marine batteries. Charge after every use. If you are going to store the battery in the off season, make sure it has a full charge before you do. I'm not sure if its true or not but I also store my batteries on a wood board. When I was a kid, my dad told me that leaving batteries on concrete is bad for them and I never questioned it or looked into if it's true or not. So its just something ive done my whole life.

• @drunkensailor A room temp battery is always going to last the longest. I know that's not always possible but it's something to think about when storing or placing your battery box. Also speaking of new technology, regarding lithium batteries, a smart charger is going to be the best investment there. They know how much to discharge, and charger without over-charging. Some even have a repair mode and can give your lithium battery extra life.

• Found a little piece of advice for the lithium batteries.

The more slowly you charge a battery, the less strain that's put on lithium ions and the structures accepting them, and the less potential damage to the battery. That's why manufacturers place limits on devices so they don't charge too quickly.

• Increase your marine battery life by using a smart charger or a maintenance charger. They read the state of the battery and they know what amount of charge is going to be most beneficial for the current state and charge of the battery. They will make the investment in a lithium battery worth it.

• The best way to ensure the longest life on your battery(s) is to make sure the battery(s) never sulfates. You can do that by installing a Smart Charger on your new batteries, then leave your battery(s) on that charger whenever you're not using your boat. If you have your boat at a slip, you can plug into shore power using a pre-made shore power cord from Marinco or make one of your own using 12 gauge extension cord and plug into a 110 outlet. Or you if you keep your boat at your house when you're not using it, you can plug the charger into you house. If you have one or two batteries on board, you've got about $300 invested in batteries. A dual bank Smart Charger (Promariner Prosport or ProNautic or Guest Chargepro) will safeguard that investment, plus you will have the peace of mind that every time you go to start your motor, it will start! https://www.westmarine.com/mounted-battery-chargers?cm_sp=CatCarousel-_-Chargers-_-NA

• Awesome advice @TBear! Doing some research on those chargers right now. Thanks for the input.