When should I use braided line, monofilament or fluorocarbon line?

Does everyone have rods with all different lines on them or is one pretty standard for where and how you fish? I generally just like to fish and fish local ponds, lakes, rivers etc. All freshwater stuff. When should I use braided line, monofilament or fluorocarbon line?

Comments

• I only use monofilament line on a dropshot rig where I want a little extra float to my line to get my baits up above the grasses. Other than that I only use braided line on my spinning or baitcasting rods and I only use fluorocarbon leaders. Even my fly rod uses a good weight forward floating fly line with a fluoro leader.

• @InsuranceBrokerDon I have a different weight fishing line on all of my rods but they're all braided line. Even my ice fishing rod is a thin white braided line. I just love the feel of braided. The two drawbacks with braided line are it is hard to cut. You can't use your teeth like you can with monofilament or fluorocarbon line, you definitely need a sharp set of nippers. Also it is harder to tie knots with because it's much more flexible. Monofilament and fluorocarbon line have some stiffness to them so they naturally create loops that are easy to push line ends through. Braided is tough to tie knots with especially when it's wet because it sticks to itself and your fingers. Pair that with it also having zero line memory or stiffness, it makes tying certain knots much more difficult with the smaller diameter line. I used to tie an improved clinch knot almost every time, I still do with my fluoro or mono leaders, but when its braided, I have swapped the improved clinch knot for a fisherman's knot because that extra loop is almost impossible to get. I havn't had 1 break off with it so I'm happy.