Is 10 lb braid stronger than 10 lb mono?

I hope this question isn't the same as "which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead" but I know there is no real scientific measurement on lb test and I know people who say you need to get a stronger braid line than you normally would have with mono? Or maybe its the other way around. Either way, any information would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Pound for pound they are the same in strength however youll notice the diameter of braid is much smaller than the equivalent mono or fluoro line. Due to stretch and abrasion resistance, it would be safe to say that 10 lb braided is actually "stronger" than 10 lb monofilament.

• @InsuranceBrokerDon Youre going to find that braided line that has the same lb test as monofilament is going to be much thinner. A 10 lb braided line is going to be roughly the same thickness as a 2 lb monofilament line. So you not only get to spool much more, but it casts easier as well.

• Braided line is much stronger. Ask my teeth the first time they tried to bite the lead off a braided knot.... Nearly lost a tooth!

• Not only is 10 lb braided line stronger than 10 lb monofilament line. its also thinner and casts a little better.

• Some casts better @Aquaholic1. I picked up some braided from amazon. Some knock off no name brand line and it was hilarious how bad it would cast. It might as well have been a 150 yards of shoelace on my reel.

• Braided line is usually much stronger line than either fluorocarbon or monofilament. There are a lot of manufacturers who are making very cheap line with inferior materials that inevitably result in line failure. The strongest line out there is a quality line being handled by an experienced angler if you ask me. No matter the material used. Most lines have their place and not all are braided.

• I've got all three sitting in front of me right now. If I wrap them around my fingers, and pull apart as hard as I can you can definitely tell the differences in strength. The monofilament is stretchy right off the bat, almost bouncy but it snaps without too much force. The fluorocarbon carbon, same exact test, stretches slower but ends up stretching further. It takes a little more strength to break it but not much. With the 10 lb braided... I think It would rip my fingers off before it snapped from being pulled apart. I can't break braided just by pulling it apart no matter how hard I try, without hurting myself of course. That being said, there is zero stretch in braided line. I would be happy to share the brands of all three lines if anyone cares. When it comes to castability, I don't think braided performs quite as good as fluorocarbon or monofilament.

• Guys this is so helpful. I had no idea there were so many different technologies involved in the different types of fishing line. From the weave of braid, the stretch of monofilament to the translucency of fluorocarbon. I think what is important to some is irrelevant to others. Some guys are drop fishing while others are trying to cast into far areas they cant access. Both of those scenarios are going to benefit from a different line. Also the cost comes into play. You might be fishing in an area where snags are inevitable. I read a story from a kayak fisherman who was snagged near a rock break. Waves were crashing into the rocks and he was unable to break his snag free. His rod essentially became a tether when he needed to move quickly. He reacted and cut his line but he was unable to just break it free and move because his tackle was too strong. Just some things to think about. The individual situation plays a more important role than I would have expected.

• Like you said @InsuranceBrokerDon when it comes to 10lb braid vs 10lb mono or 10lb fluorocarbon, it all comes down to preference and use. I take a yearly trip to Idaho for ice fishing and the braided line actually collects ice when its 10 below and freezes up your reel. The monofilament has too much memory and it holds that memory when its freezing cold. Fluorocarbon tends to be the best line for panfish ice fishing in my experience but I use braided line in different poundages for most everything else. As far as tensile strength, nothing compares but abrasion resistance, well that depends on what you're rubbing against.

• @A_Salt_Weapon_76 I am a huge fan of ice fishing and I have about a dozen ice rods I swap throughout the season up here in Michigan. I love fluorocarbon for line under 10 lb test and I like to use braided for anything 10 lb test and over. I always use a swivel and a fluorocarbon leader no matter what my main line is. If you have a good braided ice line with an ice specific coating, you shouldn't have any line freezing issues. Also depends on if you are using a spinning reel or an in-line ice reel. I like Sufix Ice Braid for ice fishing. It has worked great for me and I've been out in -10 without issue.