How To Winterize A Pontoon Boat

Can anyone give me advice and tips on how to winterize a pontoon boat? I recently inherited one that I plan on keeping. I believe it was winterized and never de-winterized from last year but I want to just run through everything again and double check. If anyone could help me figure out how to winterize a pontoon boat, I would be ever so grateful.

Comments

• @BabyShark82 I'd be happy to help you figure out DIY pontoon boat winterizing. Winterizing a pontoon with an outboard is no different than winterizing any other boat with an outboard. Winterizing a pontoon boat starts with cleaning the boat very well and allowing it to dry fully. Once the pontoon is clean, you want to add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. Make sure the gas tank is at least 3/4 of the way full before adding fuel stabilizer. Run the motor until it is full warmed up with fresh water running through your earmuffs to ensure proper cooling. Once the outboard motor is at its operating temperature you can be sure that the stabilized fuel has made its way through your fuel lines. Next it's onto the cooling system. Most marine engines are water-cooled meaning they utilize the body of water they are in to cool the internal parts by pumping it through the block. This water, even saltwater, can freeze when temps drop and frozen water expands which can ultimately crack your engine rendering it useless. You need to replace this water with antifreeze. You are going to utilize the same earmuffs you used to run fresh water through your motor when warming it up and treating the fuel. Take a Boat Winterization Kit and fill it with at least 2-3 gallons of marine specific antifreeze. This comes in -50-60 and -100 degree solutions. Keep in mind that if any fresh water is left in your cooling lines, it will dilute the antifreeze making -50 actually freeze at a higher temp. This is why I recommend using -60 or -100. As soon as the pink antifreeze is coming out of your exhaust or spitter valve, you know that antifreeze is coursing through the block. The darker the pink, the more concentrated it is and the more protected you are. Now your fuel is protected and your block is almost protected. If you have spark plugs, youll want to remove them one by one, and spray a little engine fogging oil into each cylinder. Replace the spark plug and boot. Do this to all cylinders and crank the motor a few times. If your motor has a carburetor, you'll want to spray some fogging oil directly into the carb itself. Turn the motor over a few times to ensure it is coating the areas you sprayed it in. Now it's time to disconnect the electronics and remove the battery for storage. Once you disconnect the battery, you can safely remove and store your electronics if applicable. After storing your battery and electronics, you simply need to cover the boat as best as you can with a boat cover or in a covered building. If you have a trailer, its a good time to inspect the bearings, tire pressure and electrical. Make sure to cover your trailer tires to protect them from UV rays and take preventative measures against mice and rats climbing on board and eating wires or fabrics. This should ensure a easy and successful beginning to your next season! Happy boating! Enjoy the new pontoon!