Christmas Gifts For Sailors

I hope this isn't the same as putting up Christmas lights before Halloween but I thought I'd get a jump on the subject before it's too late. Especially with the shipping times being so far delayed these days. I'm looking for some good Christmas Gift Ideas for Sailors. Nautical themed gifts or sailboat accessories that might be awesome for the ones you love. Feel free to post links, ideas, DIY gifts etc. I'm all ears and shopping for someone who has everything. Thank you Dock Line Forum! I'm excited to be here.

Comments

• @AliOnTheOcean I think a great gift for any sailor is a good chart weight. A compass/chart weight or a clock chart weight are small and as affordable as you want them to be. I prefer a clock over a compass personally but some may like the look of the compass weight better. You could also have one engraved with something to add a personal touch. Just an idea for something small that can potentially be as affordable or as expensive as you want it to be.

I would love to hear other opinions as well! Tis the season of spending right? ....

• @AliOnTheOcean if I were you, I would check out the West Marine Gadget Shop. This is primarily where I look to find gifts for my sailor or boater friends and family. You can never go wrong with a multitool or a flashlight. Both of those items are very useful and something that nobody will ever throw away. I like to give gifts that help people or make their lives a little easier. Thats who I try to be for my friends so my gifts tend to reflect that. Best of luck in your searches and may the wind always be in your sails!

• If it were me, any sailor would love a navigation set and the price range on those is anywhere between $25 and $200 depending on how detailed and elegant you choose. West Marine has recently released a gift guide for sailors that will also help you filter out the thousands of bits of gear catered to sailors. I'll share a link to it below.

• @AliOnTheOcean If your sailor friends or family are wine drinkers, you should consider the Yeti Rambler wine tumblers. The Yeti Rambler holds 10oz of wine and has a lid with a slider to prevent any spillage. Its perfect for the boat and we love ours! We received a set as a gift last year and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for gift suggestions. So long as you love wine as much as we do lol.

• Deck boots, deck boots, deck boots! I never had a pair of deck boots until this season and I regret not having purchased a pair earlier. I always thought that my feet would end up being wet and clammy in a pair of rubber deck boots because they don't look breathable at all. I was wrong, I bought a pair of XTRATUF anke high deck boots and my wife yells at me for wearing them to the store. They're so easy to slip on and off, they're surprisingly comfy, and they have great grip on wet fiberglass surfaces. They also have a antimicrobial lining so they dont smell when you wear them with bare feet.

Xtratuf Deck Boots

• You know what would be an awesome gift for a sailor is a solar lantern or some solar string lights. Nothing beats hanging out on the deck with a drink after sunset as you can barely hear the wash of the water against the hull. You don't always want to run your aux lighting or maybe you dont have it. Either way, its hard to compare the calming ambiance of a solar lantern or some rope lighting purposely placed around the mast or boom. You could also light the taffrail. I'll link a few options that would work.

Here are some colored solar lanterns that would look great topside.

Here are some high quality solar string lights that have great reviews. They're actually long in length also (18') unlike most solar light strings I've found. I bought some from Ikea a few years ago... they were 3 feet long and lasted about 5 uses.. A total waste. I just ordered these for our boat and our camper. I'm excited to try them out.

• If you have a sailor you are trying to figure out a gift for, consider making a dry rub for fish for them! Its a delicious DIY project that any mariner would love. Give that personal touch and make your own label or use their boat name on the label for the catch of the day dry rub! Ill share my recipe and feel free to alter it in any way that you see fit.

2 tsp. Salt or lemon salt

2 tsp. Black Pepper

2 tsp. Cinnamon

2 tsp. Chili powder

2 tsp. Paprika

1 tbsp. Coriander

2 tbsp. Dried Italian Seasoning

2 tbsp. Brown Sugar

2 tbsp. Cumin

1 tbsp. Garlic powder

Mix all these together evenly in a small mason jar and label it however you'd like. Try it on halibut, tilapia or any light fish, it's seriously delicious!

• Don't overthink it because chances are most sailors only wants what they need on their boat. Consider something like a nice deck throw blanket. You can use this on and off the boat and it ties into the nautical theme. They are perfect for relaxing on the deck under the moon and staying warm and cozy. Right now West Marine is running a really good deal on their throw blankets.

• @C_Jodie this is the best idea for a gift for a sailor that I've seen in a while! It would work for any mariner actually and I am going to have to steal your recipe. Thank you for sharing.