Powerboat Maintenance Tool Kit

Trying to find the best powerboat maintenance tool kit. I'm gifting myself a new set of tools to keep not he boat this year and I'm seeking out the best powerboat maintenance tool kit. Looking for something that is going to last a lifetime hopefully so any recommendations are appreciated. I have a standard 250hp outboard on a 30' fishing center console boat. Standard equipment, spare prop etc. Nothing out of the ordinary so a standard boat maintenance tool kit will do just fine.

Comments

• Following. I used to use a zipper access dry bag filled with common tools. It is great for about a month but after that it turns into a mess that I have to completely dump out to find anything. I'm also looking for a better solution for a powerboat maintenance tool kit. I'm finding that everything is either very cheap or very expensive and filled with unnecessary tools. This is why I've always put together my own tool kits. Maybe I just need to find a better storage solution.

• edited January 19

I have a 21ft Grady and I have always created my own and used something like this, https://bit.ly/3KnWNpd, for storage. I like the padding as it helps with the noise of the tools. Here is what is usually in mine, going from memory but should be pretty close.

Duct tape, electrical tape, spare drain plug, different sizes of tie wraps, wire connectors and crimpers, channel locks, wire cutters, pliers, adjustable wrench, marine grease, sealant, loctite, gloves, screw drivers, leatherman, vice grips, couple of rolls of wire.

I would be interested to hears what others have in theirs as well.

• @dvrdn72 I love the idea of using the padded case. I've seen higher end tool kits use foam inserts for travel and never thought to try to mimic the same idea. I keep basically the same tools on board as you but I also carry a variety of hose clamps and hose plugs. I also carry two types of duct tape, one roll of gorilla tape and one roll of cheap duct tape. The cheap stuff is more flexible and much thinner so it works for a few different applications including first aid. The gorilla tape for the mechanical temp fixes.

• Zip ties, flashlight, dental pick set, magnet on an extendable rod, mirror on an extendable rod, set of allen wrenches, crescent wrench, PB blaster, tight area screwdriver set, bilge wrench, wire cutters and basic pliers, Leatherman multitool, battery terminal brush, spark plug wrench, wire and mis. connectors. For any wrenches, make sure to verify metric or standard. These tools are just the basics that I carry on a boat. If you have the room for it, you can never have too many tools if you ask me but I am a big advocate for DIY.

• I keep a small hacksaw as well as a universal filter wrench in my toolkit as well. I don't use either often but I've needed both in the past so they now live on my boat.

• You can find a lot of good powerboat maintenance tool kits online but I find it best (like those mentioned above) to build one specific to your boat. If you go to any local hardware store you will see (empty) tool boxes of every shape and size. If you spend a little more you will be able to find one thats waterproof, or at least heavily water resistant as well. I prefer the Milwaukee or Rigid boxes because I like the colors but you can find them made by Cobalt, DeWalt or Craftsman as well. These boxes are stackable and come with dividers. The dividers aren't very convenient honestly because most tools are random shapes. What I've found to work best is filling the tool box with Gutter Foam. It isnt like standard tool box foam. This gutter foam found at the same hardware store is a poly based waterproof flexible foam made to fill gutters so leaves and debris don't collect in them. Once you cut strips to fit inside your favorite tool box, you can then fill it with your favorite tools that your boat requires. Obviously a 2-stroke rudder steer jon boat is going to require a different set of tools than a diesel 50' sport fish boat would.

Here is a picture of the gutter foam I prefer to use. Mainly because it doesn't hold water, it dries quickly if left in open air. Its called GutterStuff and I found it at the orange big box store.

This is the same toolbox I found to work best for my boat.

I have an 11 in 1 screwdriver, two sets of adjustable span wrenches, an electrical circuit tester, roll of duct tape, hose clamps, a knife, epoxy kit, a set of Allen keys, small spool of 16 ga wire and misc. connectors, a multitool, an extendable magnet, small socket set including a plug wrench, a flashlight and a head lamp. I also keep spare batteries in the kit for all my accessories and electronics. Just AAA and AA.

Outside of the kit, in a dry bag, I have a set of long jumper cables as well as a tow rope.