What Is The Best GPS Fish Finder For A Small Outboard Fishing Boat?

Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a boat I can trailer around to lakes but something that will also handle some calm weather bay fishing. I'm going to go check out a few options after the first of the year but I'm also looking to immediately equip it with new electronics. I've never purchased a fish finder for a boat before and I'm a little intimidated with all the technology, brands and features. I'm open to anything but I'm the type of guy who follows the motto "buy once, cry once". If anyone has any recommendations that I can research, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks Dock Line Community, as always I appreciate the trusted advice!

Comments

• Before you choose a fish finder for your boat, you need to decide on what things you would like to see with a fish finder. Do you want GPS with topography charts and maps of the areas on your fish finder? Also what depths will you be fishing? This will determine the frequency you want. CHIRP fish finders make that easy and give you a broad range automatically and a better image. Lastly, do you want to see whats below the boat, to the sides, to the front? you can even view a full 360' with the right transducer. The Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 is an excellent option. It is a good size for a small outboard fishing boat. It is capable of all the features I listed above and comes with a transducer (many don't). It's easy to use and very bright in the sunlight.

• The Best GPS Fishfinder for a small outboard boat. I'd probably recommend the Lowrance Elite FS9. It has everything you'd need and the capability to build an entire network for a small boat. The display is only 9 inches but plenty visible in any lighting condition. The Elite FS has ActiveTarget, a 3 in 1 transducer included as well as C-Maps. NMEA 2000 and ethernet connectivity. You won't be disappointed with the Elite FS9 for a smaller boat. 

Take a look at this webinar that West Marine put together showcasing the features the new Lowrance displays have. Its very helpful and really highlights the features of the new Lowrance electronics and how to combine the features for the best days on the water.