mooring whips

new dock owner, about to buy a small ( 15' -19' ) sailboat . I looked at Moor King and CrissCross stand-off mooring systems, but they seem to require leaning out from the dock to attach to the boat when docking. Mooring whips appear to allow attaching the lines while the boat is next to the dock, then pulling the boat away from the dock using the mooring line. Do I have that correct?

Also, can the mounting bracket for a mooring whip be attached to a vertical surface? My dock has very sturdy 2x10 fascia, but the dock decking is plastic.

I would appreciate any insights or advice, including brand recommendations.

Thank you.

Comments

• @DNBoyd I have a dock on a canal, and tie up my boat up to the dock from one side. I bought the Taylor Made whips to keep the boat away from the dock. A lot of traffic passes by and even though it's supposed to be wakeless, people are rarely going slow enough. This stand off mooring system works perfect for my boat. I may have oversized the whips when I purchased them, and could have gotten by with a shorter version. I purchased 16' premium whips (which would work great for a sailboat), and have a 13' wide boat. An unexpected benefit of the whips is that they allow me to easily singlehandedly dock the boat. I now steer the boat under the upwind whip, and then run up and grab the hanging loop and drop it over the boat's cleat. I then do the same with the downwind whip, and I am secure. I then attach the dockside mooring lines at my leisure. The kit comes with stainless bolts and nuts included (very high quality parts). In order to use them you do require access below the dock to put the nut on. I didn't have access for all the nuts, and ended up purchasing some 6" SS lags to secure the back of the base down in the areas that I was unable to access. That worked well. I am an Amazon Prime shopper, and found several (slightly cheaper) alternatives. I chose Taylormade because I wanted a product that would last. I bought from West Marine because I could order the item and look at it in the store before accepting it, and have a local rep if I had a problem. I play with boats for fun, and don't want or need to deal with stressful situations. The Taylor Made whips work like a charm and I know people have also had success with the DockEdge whips. You can find different mounting bases on Amazon that will adapt to the Taylor Made whips for a vertical mounting solution. I cannot attest to the quality of the mounts. You could also install a structure plate below your dock decking to beef up that area in order to have secure mounting on the top of the dock. Another option that might work would be to mount some 90 degree angle brackets to the side of your sturdy fascia boards that come up to the top of your dock allowing you to mount the whips to that.

• @DNBoyd Mooring whips are a game changer on your own dock. The benefit of having mooring whips mounted to the horizontal dock, rather than a vertical fascia board is not only for clearance but also flexibility. High quality mooring whip mounts (like the Taylor Made whips mentioned above) have a mount that also has a rubber cushion. This allows for more flex and durability on the entire mooring whip system. You should utilize a backing plate as well if possible. Even on the vertical mounted fascia board. because of that, you may as well utilize the backing plate on the decking and keep your options open with mooring whips rather than limit yourself to only a vertical mounted system. The only other recommendation I would give you is to find a system that utilizes pulleys. They keep your lines in good shape and they are typically quieter. If they do end up making any noise, lithium grease will fix the problem immediately.

• I don't personally have a need for mooring whips however a place I fish has many docks with them. There is a substantial difference on the gelcoat and fiberglass between the docks that use them and the ones that don't. If I ever find a place with my own dock, I would absolutely get some if I didn't have a lift.