How Do I Select and Install Underwater Boat Lights?

I'm obviously a little late to the trend but I am in love with the look of some of the boats around me at night when they turn on the underwater boat lighting. I've seen some even change colors to the beat of the music playing on board. Are these lights through-hull designs? Is that a concern for an average DIY type boat owner or is installing underwater boat lights something that should be left to the professionals? My boat lives in a slip so I'll have to have it pulled out. It might just be easiest to have the marina shop install some lighting but I want to do my research before I make any commitments. Thanks for any advice dock line! Pic for attention, not my boat lol.

Comments

• Following this thread... I'm also interested in installing some underwater boat lights. There are so many options out there. From through-hull lights to LED strip lights. Whatever route you choose when installing LED underwater boat lighting, you will have to drill a hole through the hull of your boat. You also have to familiarize yourself with local laws. For instance, you can't have flashing blue lights near me because that is reserved for law enforcement. the US Coast Guard also requires that boats avoid displaying any light that could be confused as another navigation light or another vessel. Because of the need to drill multiple 2" holes through my hull, while avoiding anything structural, electrical or plumbed, I am hesitant to tackle this project myself. Also, because of the work involved, I want to make sure I find some LED boat lighting that is going to last. The price range of these lights and the reviews are all over the board.